I just wrapped up a clinical study that is to my knowledge the first of its kind. wodFuel, a pre-workout product, was tested on experienced CrossFit participants using a benchmark workout of the day (WOD) known as “Cindy”.
Adam Nadler is the owner of wodFuel, Inc. In November of 2012, I began helping Adam re-formulate and re-package wodFuel. The new formula came onto the market just a few weeks ago.
Below I have pasted an article that discusses the project in more detail.
wodFuel®: Lift Stronger, Last Longer!
When Adam Nadler founded wodFuel, Inc. one of his goals was to bring more authenticity to the sports nutrition marketplace. Adam is also the owner of CrossFit Immersion, a box in Coral Springs, Florida.
“When I started this company, I had little experience with the sports nutrition industry, other than as a consumer. I felt there was a need for an authentic brand, one that spoke honestly and openly to consumers about its products. I relied on a contract manufacturer to help me develop my first pre-WOD (workout of the day) formula. Though it received positive reviews, I felt I could do better. I learned from that experience, and in 2012 I teamed up with a leading consultant who has worked with over 30 sports nutrition brands over the last two decades. With his help, I developed a new and better wodFuel.”
Adam explains the thought process that went into developing the new wodFuel formula:
“CrossFit appeals to men and women of a wide range of ages and fitness backgrounds. Most of them don’t want to take products loaded with harsh central nervous system (CNS) stimulants before they exercise. For one thing, it’s not a good idea to begin your WOD or any form of intense exercise with your heart racing. Secondly, there is the risk of long-term health consequences from taking these ingredients. This is why you won’t find harsh stimulants in wodFuel.”
Adam continues, “It’s also important to remember that consumers take pre-workout products several times a week. Therefore, we carefully selected vitamins, minerals, co-factors and other nutraceuticals that not only help your body to perform at its physical best today, but also support long-term health when wodFuel is used on a regular basis.”
The wodFuel Clinical Study: Putting it to the test with “Cindy”
CrossFit consumers are savvy, of course. To convince them of the value of wodFuel, Adam decided to put it to the test in a controlled clinical study. There were 19 subjects in the study. All were experienced CrossFit participants. They performed “Cindy”, a benchmark WOD, in a CrossFit facility.
wodFuel is now the first pre-workout supplement to have been tested in an IRB-approved, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study using CrossFit participants. IRB is short for “Institutional Review Board”. Essentially, this means that the wodFuel study was safe and ethical, and conducted in accordance with federal guidelines for good clinical practice.
“Cardio-Friendly” Performance Enhancement.
In the study, subjects took either one serving of wodFuel or a placebo 20 minutes before performing Cindy. Preliminary analyses show that wodFuel enabled subjects to complete more rounds of Cindy and perform more reps and more total work. It also increased their self-reported energy level, or what scientists refer to as ‘vigor”. Importantly, wodFuel had no significant effects on blood pressure or heart rate. In other words, it was “cardio friendly”, supporting blood pressure and heart rate in the healthy range.
- Clinically Studied: wodFuel is the first pre-workout formula tested in an IRB-approved, double-blind, placebo-controlled study involving experienced subjects performing a benchmark WOD (workout of the day), ““Cindy”, in a CrossFit facility.
- Cardio Friendly: wodFuel contains a patented, non-GMO, 100% grape seed extract derived from wine grapes grown in the US using traditional cultivation techniques. The results of controlled clinical studies indicate that it supports blood pressure in a normal, healthy range. wodFuel also contains a clinical dose of coenzyme Q10 to support cardiovascular work output
- Real Fuel: Glucose (“blood sugar”) is your body’s preferred fuel, particularly during high-intensity workouts. wodFuel supports whole-body glucose levels during your WOD with a non-GMO, gluten-free, whole-grain brown rice extract.
- Free Radical Protection: Your body produces free radicals all day long, including during your workouts. One packet of wodFuel gives you free radical protection equivalent to nearly 2.5 servings of fruits and vegetables based on ORAC value, a measure of potential antioxidant strength.
- Natural Caffeine: wodFuel contains no synthetic caffeine. It energizes and drives you with natural caffeine derived from the raw, unroasted seeds of the coffee fruit.Naturally Sweetened, Creatine-Free: Because wodFuel is free of artificial sweeteners and creatine, it won’t produce the side effects (e.g. bloating, weight gain, stimulation of appetite) sometimes associated with these ingredients.
- Natural Flavors and Colors: wodFuel contains no artificial flavors or colors. It uses natural flavors that offer a richer, more satisfying taste than artificially flavored and sweetened products.
- Identity-Tested Actives: All of the actives ingredients in wodFuel are tested to confirm their identity before being used to make the finished product.
- Manufactured in a GMP-certified facility: The wodFuel formula is produced in a manufacturing facility that is GMP certified by NSF and the Natural Products Association.